|Historic Roads and Scenic Byways in Southeast Ohio|
For a printable PDF map of Scenic Roads in Ohio, Please see: Ohio's Designated Scenic Byways. In southeast Ohio, these routes also are as historic as they are scenic. For historical accounts, see the History section of this website.
South and East of Stratton House
Located just seven miles south of Stratton House, this is the most famous early road in southeast Ohio. It also is known as the Cumberland Trail, because it started in Cumberland, Maryland. Extending to Vandalia, Illinois, it was the FIRST road in the United States to be built with Federal funds. Because of its importance as a national road, it is treated separately on this website; please see: National Road / Zane Grey Museum.
The Droverís Trail Scenic Byway is about ten miles south of Stratton House. Although it connects with the National Road Scenic Byway, for the most part it parallels that route. When the National Road was covered with brick, a softer route, which would be easier on the hooves of livestock, was sought as a drover's route. That was a major use of this road, and today it passes an historic inn, just east of Barnesville, which was a drover's stop along this early road. The route consists of State Route 800 between Barnesville and Hendrysburg and State Route 147 from Bellaire to Barnesville. It was chosen for its beautiful scenic vistas and for the multitude of historic homes, architecture and sites located on the 37-mile stretch of road. This byway also connects two other Scenic Byways, the Historic National Road (U.S. Route 40) and the Ohio River Scenic Byway (next entry below).
Approximately 15 miles east of Stratton House, this scenic byway spans the entire length of the Ohio River (in Ohio), all 452 miles. Just head east, and turn right or left on the last road before you drive into the Ohio River. Beginning with US 39 at East Liverpool, the route follows US 338, 124, SR7, 52 and 50 -- to the Indiana boarder. This byway also is designated a National Scenic Byway.
This is a beautiful drive back into time, to the days of legendary Mike Fink, when flat-bottom boats floated early settlers down the Ohio River. Envision the steam boats departing from Wheeling, transporting slaves destined for Louisiana and Mississippi. All the towns along here were part of the Underground Railroad, helping transport slaves to freedom in the opposite direction -- to Canada. This also was the route of commerce for the entire Ohio River Valley, including the early coal trade with New Orleans.
North of Stratton House
Note: As you drive north from Stratton House to US 250, you will cross and then follow a portion of the route traveled by Morgan's Raiders in 1863, when Confederate troops made the northern most penetration of the Union during the Civil War. For an account of this event, please see: Morgan's Raid, July 1863 -- The Conflict Near Stratton House, 23-24 July 1863.
Just six miles northeast of Stratton House, US 250 was an ancient Indian trail that connected the Ohio River with Lake Erie. It became one of the earliest roads in Ohio. An important route for stage coaches and covered wagons, it was dotted with historic inns and taverns -- some equipped with fenced pastures to hold the flocks of sheep and herds of cattle being driven by drovers to eastern markets. The book, Beautiful Belmont (Bonny Belmont), describes life along this historic road. Note that this road connects the following two scenic byways.
Starting about eight miles northeast of Stratton House, the Jefferson County Southern Scenic Byway is a combination of a greenway, recreation trail and area of great historic interest. The route follows SR 150 and 674 for a total of 15 miles, as it passes through Mt. Pleasant, a historic Quaker town and major stop on the Underground Railroad. This district includes the site of the Free Labor Store which holds a National Landmark designation from the Department of the Interior. The Burriss Store served the public from 1895 to 1971; the shelves on one side of the store display many of the actual items sold here in the past. The Meat Department remains in tact. Souvenirs and gifts are available here.
About twenty miles northwest of Stratton House, this Byway includes routes traveled by the earliest settlers in Ohio -- Moravian missionaries that established Schoenbrunn Village. This scenic Byway begins on US 250 at Stock TR 313. The route continues west along the lake to the dam, crosses the dam on TR 280 and continues up the valley to CR 2.
Harrison CR 55 begins at US 250 at the east end of Tappan Lake and merges with CR 2, continuing through Deersville and Feed Springs, becomes CR 36 at the Tuscarawas County line, and ends at SR 800. Another section of the byway begins at CR 21 in Deersville and proceeds south becoming SR 799 and ending at SR 800. The final portion of the byway includes SR 646 which begins at US 250 at Tappan Lake, proceeds through Scio and New Rumley (where George Armstrong Custer and Thomas Ward Custer were born) to SR 9, then through Jewett to SR 151 and returns to Scio. The total distance for the Scenic Byway is 55 miles.
| Home |
| History | Attractions | Contact | Site Map | Admin |
Site: © 2002-2019 by: Pierian Press Web Services | Hosted by: Stratton House Inn
Content: © 2002-2019 Stratton House Inn. All rights reserved.