Stratton House Inn Logo
Stratton House Inn :: Flushing, Ohio Photographs of Stratton House Inn

Historic/Scenic Roads

Olney Friends School
   Aaron Frame's Diary
   Mary Smith Davis

Belmont County
Bicentennial Minutes
Bonny Belmont
Little Home Histories
Howe's History
Belmont Apple
Flushing Ohio
George Washington
Johnny Appleseed
John Brown's Raid
Rural Electrification

Harrison County
Franklin Museum
George/Tom Custer
Morgan's Raid 1863
Black Baseball Hero

Jefferson County
James Logan
Mount Pleasant

Brief History of Inn

Change Font Size:
Increase font size Decrease font size Restore default font size
 Little Home Histories, Part 12 -- John Bundy Homestead.

by Bailey, Lloyd.

See previous entry: Little Home Histories, Part 11 -- Flax-Wool-Soap Making.

The old John Bundy home, now occupied by Alvs Bailey was built in 1825 by Isaac Stubbs on a part of the original land entered by Joseph Stubbs about the year 1804. The clay for the bricks was dug on the farm, molded and burned there. John Bundy bought the farm from Isaac Stubbs and built a frame kitchen to the South of the original brick kitchen with porches to the West and East. The house was originally strengthened with iron rods running through it which are still in evidence. Lindley P. Bailey remodeled the house, building a frame extension to the West end of the brick in the 1890s. A frame kitchen has been added to the southeast corner in the last few years.

The large barn is a building of great interest. It was built in 1854 by John Bundy, one of the most progressive farmers of this section. He was noted for his good equipment. The master carpenter on the barn was Isaiah Fields who rode each day in mid-winter from Morristown, a distance of approximately eight miles to supervise the building. Due to the exposure he developed pneumonia. Two full days were needed to raise the barn with all neighbors' help, most barns taking only one day. The barn is sixty feet by seventy feet and the long timbers are hand hewn and fastened together by wooden pegs. The timber for the barn was probably cut on the farm. The hinges for the doors were forged at Slab Town by Mason Thomas for one hundred dollars. Some of the hinges are still in use. John Bundy filled the barn only once and the mowing scythe and hand rake were the tools used for the harvest. Wooden forks were made from white oak pieces split at the end into four prongs. Lem Bailey has one of the old Barley forks as a relic. The barn was the first to be equipped with a horse hayfork.

John Bundy owned the farm until 1888 when Lindley P. Bailey bought it. With some remodeling of the old barn and the building of a new dairy barn in 1909 the farm has become on of the leading dairy farms in the country.

Source: Written by: Lloyd Bailey, Tacoma, Ohio.

See next entry: Little Home Histories, Part 13 -- William 'Black Bill' Bundy.

For the table of contents and first entry in this series, please see: Little Home Histories, Part 01 -- Table of Contents and Introduction.

This entry is adapted from Little Home Histories in Our Early Homes, Belmont County, Ohio, which was published in 1942. Its publication was coordinated by Robert D. and Beulah Patten McDonald. This entry has been reedited for inclusion in the Pierian Press Fulltext eBooks database, and is included on the Stratton House Inn Website by special permission. This entry is licensed for use ONLY on this Website. It may be used for educational purposes and personal pleasure under fair-use provisions via this Website. Please note that the Stratton House Inn iteration of this entry does NOT include the subject headings assigned each chapter for use in the Fulltext eBooks database.

DATABASE: Fulltext eBooks: Copyright (c) 2002 The Pierian Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Jump to top of page  Top Link to this page  Link to this page