|Stratton Flour Mill: Chronology|
1877: Construction on the mill is started by John F. Stratton.
1878: John F. Stratton dies of typhoid fever prior to completion of mill.
1878: The mill is completed by Charles Stratton and Joseph Branson. It is powered by a steam engine.
1878-1895: The mill is managed by Charles Stratton and Henry Stanton, a cousin of Edwin M. Stanton, Abraham Lincoln's Secretary of War during the Civil War.]
1896: John Stratton's son, George Stratton leases the mill; he is not yet 20 years old.
1897: Mill is extensively remodeled.
1902: Frame warehouse and grain bin are added to the mill.
1906: George Stratton purchases sole ownership of the mill.
1906: A 50 horsepower St. Mary's Gas Engine is installed, replacing the original steam engine and boiler.
1918: A 50 horsepower Ball Bearing Fairbanks Electric motor is installed, replacing the gas engine.
1920s: Stratton's Self-Rising Whole Wheat Pancake Flour is introduced and becomes famous for its flavor and texture.
1933: Two Fairbanks Y Oil Engines, one 25 horsepower and one 10 horsepower, are installed and synchronized, replacing the electric motor.
1937: A 50 horsepower single cylinder horizontal Buckeye diesel engine replaces the oil engines.
1959: George Stratton dies; one of his five sons, William, has already assumed day-to-day operations of the mill.
196?: Operations gradually cease in the early 1960s.
1988: William Stratton, the last operator of the mill, dies.
1989: The Stratton Mill Foundation, Inc. is established.
1996: Stratton's Self-Rising Whole Wheat Pancake Flour reintroduced in limited quantities.
| Home |
| History | Attractions | Contact | Site Map | Admin |
Site: © 2002-2018 by: Pierian Press Web Services | Hosted by: Stratton House Inn
Content: © 2002-2018 Stratton House Inn. All rights reserved.